"Der Campo Santo in Pisa - Cemetery in Pisa " (see related A), 1858 Leo von Klenze (1784 - 1864) Neue Pinakothek, Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Ancient cemetery or burial ground in Pisa (erected in 1278) along the the Cathedral - was completed during 1464. The site contains a large collection of Roman sarcophagi (84 are left) and are protected by being inside galleries near the walls of this "Campo Santo". Furthermore, the walls are covered by frescoes. Much of these treasures were destroyed by the Allies during WW II.
IDEA > IMAGE > WORDS - Cemetery, burial, ground, Pisa, collection, collect, sarcophagi, campo, santo, frescoes, treasure